I recently discovered that Lavender can be used as a natural, environmentally friendly way to treat fire ant bites. If you work outside in a garden or are doing some remodeling, you might run into fire ants which bite and then sting from their abdomen to inject a toxic alkaloid venom called solenopsin. Fire ant bites result in a painful bump that feels like fire and then forms a bump filled with with white puss called a pustule.
With over 280 species of fire-ants worldwide you might consider adding some lavender essential oil to your first aid kit! Fire ants are sometimes called by different names depending on what part of the world you are in as follows:
- ginger ants or red ants
- tropical fire ant
- hormigas bravas or hormigas coloradas
- fourmis de feu
- aka-hi-ari or aka-kami-ari
It’s worth noting that scratching fire ant bites could lead to bleeding and infection and should be avoided. Furthermore, some people are allergic to the venom and may experience anaphylaxis which requires emergency treatment. An antihistamine or topical corticosteroids may help reduce the itching as well. Additional ways to relieve the pain include applying a bit of toothpaste or a solution of half water and half bleach but you should always consult a doctor or trained medical professional in emergency situations.